What are the two decision making parameters of handoff explain

Engineering Lecture Notes Pdf

2. What are the two decision making parameters of handoff explain.


There are two decision-making parameters of handoff: (1) that based on signal strength and (2) that based on carrier-to-interference ratio. The handoff criteria are different for these two types. In type 1, the signal-strength threshold level for handoff is −100 dBm in noise-limited systems and −95 dBm in interference-limited systems. In type 2, the value of C/I at the cell boundary for handoff should be at a level, 18 dB for AMPS in order to have toll quality voice. Sometimes, a low value of C/I may be used for capacity reasons.


Type 1: It is easy to implement. The location receiver at each cell site measures all the signal strengths of all receivers at the cell site. However, the received signal strength (RSS) itself includes interference.


RSS = C + I


where C is the carrier signal power and I is the interference. Suppose that we set up a threshold level for RSS; then, because of the I , which is sometimes very strong, the RSS level is higher and far above the handoff threshold level. In this situation handoff should theoretically take place but does not. Another situation is when I is very low but RSS is also low. In this situation, the voice quality usually is good even though the RSS level is low, but since RSS is low, unnecessary handoff takes place. Therefore, it is an easy but not very accurate method of determining handoffs. Some analog systems use SAT information together with the received signal level to determine handoffs. Some CDMA systems use pilot channel information.


Type 2: Handoffs can be controlled by using the carrier-to-interference ratio C/I


C+I/I = C/I


we can set a level based on C/I ,so C drops as a function of distance but I is dependent on the location. If the handoff is dependent on C/I , and if the C/I drops, it does so in response to increase in (1) propagation distance or (2) interference. In both cases, handoff should take place. In today’s cellular systems, it is hard to measure C/I during a call because of analog modulation. Sometimes we measure the level I before the call is connected, and the level C + I during the call. Thus (C + I )/I can be obtained. Another method of measuring C/I is described in Sec. 9.3.

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)